By Kaseem Jenrade
Gunmen have killed a woman and injured her husband during an alleged attempt to abduct the man at Baasi area of ATISBO LGA of Oyo State.
The incident occurred at about 11:30 p.m. on Sunday when the attackers, numbering about three, reportedly invaded the residence of their target, Alhaji Saleh Seidu, 46, a native of Siroro Local Government Area of Niger State who had settled in Baasi.
An eyewitness said the gunmen gained access to the house through the back door and attempted to abduct Seidu.
The victim, however, reportedly resisted the attempt and struggled to escape.
In the ensuing confusion, one of his wives attempted to open the entrance door, but was allegedly shot by the attackers and died instantly.
Seidu was also seriously injured during the attack and was subsequently taken to an undisclosed hospital for treatment.
Narrating his ordeal, one of Seidu’s sons, Shuaibu Saleh, said the attackers were about three in number and identified them as Fulani men.
He said, “They seriously injured my father and killed my mother on the spot.”
The deceased has since been buried in accordance with Islamic rites.
Reacting to the incident, the Baasi Community Chairman, Prince Tajudeen Ashafa, who spoke on behalf of the Onibaasi of Baasi, Oba Sunday Azeez Babatunde, said the community received the news with shock.
Ashafa said he received information about the incident early Monday morning while returning from the mosque, adding that the deceased had already been buried according to Islamic tradition.
He said the community had commenced measures to strengthen security and prevent a recurrence of the incident.
The community leader urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious movements to the appropriate security agencies.

